Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Rice 101

I have a rather embarrassing confession... until about a month ago, I had never cooked rice. I had cooked minute rice, and rice-a-roni. But not just plain ol' white rice. But guess what? I looked it up online... and IT'S EASY-PEASY! Wanna know how?
Heat 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Turn heat down to the lowest setting and add 1 cup of rice and 1 tsp of margarine. Stir ONCE. Cover and let it hang out for 20 minutes. VOILA! You have perfect rice!
Did you know something else? You can FREEZE cooked rice? Who knew!? Oh. You knew? Well I didn't! But it's my new favorite thing to do! After the rice has cooled, scoop into Ziploc baggies and push all the air out. lay flat in the freezer. And when you want to thaw it, just pop the bag in the microwave for like a minute! AMAZING! Needless to say I've recently been using the 10lb. bag that has been sitting in my pantry for, oh I don't know... FOREVER!?
Whoever let me think I needed that much rice to make rice bags... was not my friend.

2 comments:

Deebi27 said...

I love rice and I usually make Jasmine rice to eat with grilled talapia ! YUM! I didn't know it could be frozen though. I think I will make a bunch up and freeze it for those quick "I'm hungry" moments and of course quick dinner additions! Thanks for Rice 101!!!

Spencer and Mindy said...

ha! funny. I just use a rice cooker. also, easy-peasy! :) and i didn't know you could freeze rice.. i just might have to do that too!!!


Use the code STMMMS84668 to get $10 off instantly!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...